The village of Všestary consists of the localities: Bříza, Chlum, Lípa, Rosnice, Rozběřice and Všestary.
The settlement of Všestary was founded near the Melounka brook on the old trade route, connecting Hradec Králové with Hořice and Jičín. The first written record of the village dates back to 1360.
The area of today’s Všestary was inhabited in prehistoric times as is confirmed by the prehistoric relics found here:
A settlement is believed to have existed in Všestary in the Late Bronze Age; this theory is supported by the discovery of a burial site of the Silesian-type Urnfield culture.
The locality of Lípa was inhabited in the Neolithic period. This is proven mainly by the finds of stone tools near the Gabrielin Farmstead above the village of Lípa.
Likewise, a settlement in Chlum is known to have existed in prehistoric times, this fact is confirmed by the frequent finds from the Neolithic period and Bronze Age in the territory of the village and its vicinity, now displayed in the Museum of Eastern Bohemia in Hradec Králové. Artefacts discovered in Bříza, i.e. a stone chisel and a drilled stone axe, are now housed in the Vienna Museum.
Prehistoric tools, dishes and fragments of prehistoric containers were found in the plots near the locality of Rosnice and are kept in the Museum of Eastern Bohemia in Hradec Králové
Today, the village has 1654 inhabitants and its area including the adjoining localities amounts to 1,619 ha. As to its main historical sites, one may admire the Church of the Holy Trinity in Všestary (founded in 1384, the contemporary building dates back to 1842–43) or the 14 century Church of the Transfiguration at Chlum. Both churches represent immovable cultural heritage. Some other sites of cultural heritage are situated in different Všestary localities, e.g. Žižka’s Table in Rosnice, Detschemeister’s Monument in Rozběřice, Prussian Cemetery at Chlum, Fürstenbersk Cross and Ossuary in Lípa and the Lípa Mausoleum. An observation tower (viewing tower on Chlum Hill) is situated in the territory of the Lípa locality, as well as the Museum of the 1866 War in Chlum and the 1866 Battlefield Grounds near Hradec Králové, where more than four hundred monuments as well as individual and mass graves can be found. The most important of these are accessible via the marked tourist paths or cycleways and special education trails.
The village of Všestary is situated in the close vicinity of Hradec Králové, and is located near the Hradec Králové – Jičín main road. It is accessible by bus and train.
The north-eastern direction from Hradec Králové is traditionally viewed as a destination for cultural trips thanks to the 1866 Battle of Chlum memorial site and education trail. From the point of view of the attractiveness of the archaeological finds, it is a unique place with settlements running throughout all of the prehistoric periods. These facts will also be presented by means of the archaeological education trail and archaeological cycleway.
The Všestary Prehistoric Archeopark will be built on the site of the existing “Prehistoric Village” - Centre of Experimental Archaeology. This area has been open for school excursions since 2000 and it was open for the general public until 2010, but only in the summer period (July – August, Spring and Autumn weekends). The “Prehistoric Village” was installed thanks to the practical training of students led by teachers from the Department of Archaeology of the Faculty of Arts of Hradec Králové University. From its very beginnings the Prehistoric Archeopark has been supported by the municipality of Všestary, which provided plots for its implementation. Expert services are rendered by the Department of Archaeology of the Faculty of Arts of Hradec Králové University.
“The construction of the Archeopark grounds will take place from the summer of 2011 to the autumn of 2012. The opening of the park to the public is planned for the beginning of 2013. For the reason of the construction of the Archeopark the CEA grounds will not be open to the public from 2011 to the end of 2012. However, the public will be able to attend the “Days of Live Archaeology”, traditionally held on the second weekend in May every year and school excursions booked in advance may also take place. More current information about the progress of the project implementation as well as the actual construction of the grounds and information about future services can be found at http://www.archeoparkvsestary.cz/ . The Všestary Prehistoric Archeopark is co-financed by the European Union through the Regional Operational Programme – NUTS II Northeast within the projects to support tourism.
The Archeopark is aimed at the general public, families with children, tourists as well as archaeology enthusiasts. The centre is frequently visited by pupils from basic and secondary schools of the Královéhradecký Region or neighbouring districts.
Directions to the school and swimming pool
Original structures of the CEA
Original grounds of the CEA
Planned new structures of the Archeopark
Enlargement of the Archeopark ground
1 Building displaying a prehistoric exposition
2 Visitor car park
3 Exposition with a demonstration of archaeological fieldwork
4 Neolithic dwelling
5 Housing of domesticated animals
6 Eneolithic dwelling - semi-recessed dugout
8 Area for pyro-experiments (firing, smelting)
9 Burial ground with "flat graves"
10 Exposition of boats of the Monoxylon expeditions
11 Cult rondel
12 Existing field
13 Stick dwelling from the Early Bronze Age
14 Dwelling with a semi-strut structure
15 Old La Tène dwelling - semi-recessed dugout
16 Pottery kiln and bronze smelting
17 Clay extraction pits
18 Long tumulus
19 Burial mound
20 Urnfield burial ground